Thursday, October 15, 2015

Cornwall Coast - Port Isaac to Tintagle - Merlin's Castle & Caves

The next 10 days will be in the SW of England in Cornwall. Southwinds - Uncle Rob's estate - is our home base. We'll be rediscovering the holiday spots of Steve's youth and exploring English Heritage locations he has never been to. This will be an exploration of seaside villages and mysterious cliffs. A celebration of the cornish cuisine and cask ales. Life is good.
Port Quinn

Port Isaac at pub with a view!


Where there are cliffs, there are hills. Steep hills. To say the least, we are working off the pints hiking up and down!

Merlin's castle is about a mile walk downhill to the sea from the village of Tintagle (the birthplace of King Arthur). The castle itself is on a jagged rock. In the natural form, you can imagine how difficult it would be to reach or attack. Today the castle is accessed by a foot bridge and many many steps. I'm scared of heights and boy those steps were steep. I didn't know if I would be able to make it to the castle and after one failed attempt I did. Steve held my hand tight and I walked closest to the earth... and simply forced myself to do it. Thank goodness I did. The views were absolutely magical.

Steve at the doorway to the castle.

The ruins of the castle and Camelot Hotel in the distance. 

Merlin's Cove 

The waterfall in the cove and a few of my stone creations.

A view from a porthole in the castle. 

Getting ready to go back down the stairs!

I swear. The steps were steep!

That's right. A quick pint after our uphill climb and before the sunset views. 

We finished the day watching the sun set over the castle from the vantage point above - Camelot Castle Hotel. A perfect day.
The hump in the middle is where the Merlin's castle sits. 

I couldn't resist. The sunlight was amazing. 

Camelot Castle

Crisps. A perfect hiking food. 

We ended the day with a fun dinner with Uncle Rob and Julie!


No comments:

Post a Comment