Sunday, October 18, 2015

Plymouth - Not just a rock in Massachusetts!

A little history. Plymouth in Devon, England is where the Mayflower set sail from! The Mayflower colonists were from Devon and no surprise I recognize many many street names (we ripped them all).

During a quick day excursion from Polzeath we went to Plymouth and took a historical tour of the harbor and indulged in an afternoon tea. Devon and Cornwall are counties separated by the Tamar River. Friendly local competition between the two over the best cream (which is used in a proper tea among other things.) While we were with Adrian and Amanda in Chagford, Devon they gave me a test. How would I prepare my scone? Strawberry jam on the bottom and cream on top (Cornish way) or vice versa which would clearly mean I'm more Devon. I choose the Cornish way! It's a bit too sweet when the jam hits the palate. And about the cream - they are both delicious but Uncle Rob swears the Devon cream is "watery and too sweet." Honestly they are both lovely and quite an indulgence. No counting calories here.

And who could leave Plymouth without seeing the Gypsy Acora! Julie and I had a reading... and it felt like the beginning of the movie Big. A little creepy and a lot of fun. Gypsy Acora says I'm going to have a strong long life. I'm super independent and will live some place with dollars. Sounds about right.


Afternoon Tea with a view of the harbor at Gary Rhodes restaurant!

Between the two flags is the launching point of the Mayflower. 

On the historical harbor cruise...

Uncle Rob and Steve at the launch point of the Mayflower. 


No comments:

Post a Comment