Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Darkest Day in English Rugby. A New Chapter for Us!


We arrived early Saturday morning ecstatic for the first match of the rugby world cup - England v Australia. With a quick nap, we beat the jet lag and prepared for my first trip on the tube to Richmond for the fan zone experience. After a few beers, and some good banter, Steve and I walked to Twickenham - the home of rugby. This was my first international match, and if you asked Steve about it before we left, he would tell you how excited he was for me to experience Twickenham. And now I know why. The energy is palpable, the tradition intense. The people we met were more than friendly despite fierce competition. Clearly, England didn't show up but it wasn't a bitter ending. England fans were clear that the better team (that day) won the match. There were no excuses. Fans didn't argue or hate. The game result was the game result. I consider this the definition of sportsmanship. Truly incredible.













I was over the moon to begin with... my first game at Twickenham... the start of an incredible adventure with my love... and then it happened. Steve and I went back to Kensington to meet Laila, and while we were waiting for her, there on the front porch, Steve got on one knee. I didn't know what he was doing until he pulled out the ring (he had been carrying all day) and asked me to marry him. I'm pretty sure I said yes before he could finish the question. No doubt. He is love of my life. I can't imagine living this adventure of life with anyone else. What a hell of way to start out this trip.

Fiance. My new favorite word.




12 comments: